Thursday, September 17, 2009

Azure corrects her Teacher

On the first day of school, I noticed when I picked Azure up from class that her teacher called her Ay-zure. She used a long "A" instead of a short one, like the A in Apple. On the way home, I asked her if her teacher had gotten her name wrong. She said "Yes, but my name isn't Ay-zure."
I told her, " Well you need to tell your teacher that your name is Azure. But say it nicely." I didn't think about it again until I dropped her off. I reminded her that it was okay to tell the teacher how to say her name in case the teacher got it wrong. She nodded, but didn't say anything.
When I picked her up from class today, I hear the teacher say, "Your mom is here, Azure. Have a good day!" As soon as we got to the car, I asked her what she had told her teacher. She said, " She said Ay-zure and I said, no that's not my name. My name is Azure."
I asked her if her teacher said anything else and she said, "No, but my name is Azure now."
I am so proud of her to have the courage to step up and say something to her teacher. Usually, I am the one who does the talking for her and telling people how her name is pronounced, but this time I wanted her to do it herself. I don't want her to be afraid to speak up or to always depend on me to do things for her. So far, school has been a learning experience for both of us, and I'm really noticing how grown up she really is!

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! So many kids are afraid to correct the teacher. They have to learn as pre-schoolers that teachers are not infallible. :)

    ReplyDelete